Planning, Running and measuring tests with Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and Test and Lab Manager

So what does Visual Studio 2010 bring for testers? A whole lot! Especially the new test environment, where you can create a test plan to validate the quality of the software you’re building. A test plan is a collection of test cases, which you can then run. While running the system keeps track of a whole lot of things, including code coverage and IntelliTrace information. And finally this application allows you to examine the combined results of all tests, to see how your development effort is doing.

So again: A test plan is a collection of test suites, used to test a certain iteration in your project. A test suite is a collection of test cases to test a certain part of your project, and a test case is a test for a project feature. A test case is basically an UI test running in a specific environment. To model this, Test and Lab manager also allows you to define a test configuration, which is a certain environment for your code, for example Windows 7 with IE8, or Windows XP SP2 with IE7.

Running Test and Lab Manager

First time you run this application it will ask for your Team Foundation Server (TFS) and after that, for the Project Collection and Team Project:

image

Ok, next step it will ask you for a test plan; since there are none you will have to create a new one:

image

Then click “Select plan >”.

This opens the test plan.

image

if you want you can change some of the properties of this test plan by clicking on the properties tab:

image

Here you can change the iteration for example, or the test settings.

image

With test settings you can change how your tests will be executed. For example in the Local Test Run settings you can change the diagnostic data adapter, which record data from your test run. For example is you want an action recording, event log entries, etc… You can also use it to emulate certain environments, for example running low on memory. You can even create your own data adapter.

image

This first page allows you to change the name, and choose between running a manual or automated test.

image

On the second page you can define the roles. You define a role for each tier to use to run tests and collect data. One the local settings you can only have one role, your own physical machine. If you want to use roles, you will also have to define environments.

image

Here you can define what kind of data you want to gather. For example, the Action Recording will record each action taken during the test, making it easy for another person (typically a developer) to understand what happened during running the test. The Action log is a text version of the recording. IntelliTrace will allow a developer to load the IntelliTrace log and step back in the code, to see how the error came to be.

Go back to the Contents tab.

Now we’re ready to test some of our user stories (from now on I will be using User Stories, but this could just as easily be called a requirement or anything else to denote a certain needed functionality of your software system). Test cases are grouped into test suites. Per test plan you have a default test suite, but you can also create a test suite for a specific user story, copy a test suite from another test plan, create a nested suite or create one from a query:

image

If you select “Add requirement"to plan” you will need to select a user story. This user story is now associated with this test suite. This will allow reporting to figure out which tests have ran for which user story.

image

Now we’re ready to add a test case, so click the New button. The New Test Case dialog should show:

image

Add the four steps (please note that we’re doing this for the sake of the demo, normally your requirement should not be to crash :) ). Save it.

Click on the Tested User Stories tab: the User Story should be there. Save and Close.

A couple of other things you can now do is to assign it to a tester, and/or change the configurations:

Let’s run the test. First open the Test tab: image

From here you can see all test cases for a test suite:

Select the test case and click on the run button. The Test Runner should open:

image

Check the Create action recording button and hit Start Test. Do as the test case says, and try to use a repeatable way to start the application (for example using the start menu). The first and second step should not be a problem, so click the drop down boxes to the right of each step to indicate success:

image

Now make the third step fail. You’ll need to enter a comment why it failed. Then click the End Test hyperlink button. You’ll see test center gather some information.

On top of the test runner window you’ll see a toolbar. Click on the Create Bug button:

image

You’ll see that most of the fields are automatically filled in. You might want to change the Severity for example, and maybe assign it to a certain tester, but that is all… Click Save. Check out the information included in the System Info, and All Links tab. Close it.

Remember me asking you to start the application using some repeatable way? Well, try and click on the play button. Your test should replay again. This makes it easier to re-test later.

Coming back to Test and Lab Manager. The test case failed so now the UI updates to show this:

image

If you have more than one test, the bar will color depending on how many succeeded, failed or are still in progress.

Later you can come back and verify if a bug still exists by using the Verify Bugs tab:

image

Go back to the Plan tab, then open the properties. Now you should see an overview:

image

Back to Visual Studio, so close the Test and Lab Manager. Go to the Team Explorer and open the My Bugs query. You should see the bug we created before. Open it:

image

Go to All Links, and open the IntelliTrace log (.tdlog). With it you can now replay the bug, just like in my previous post on IntelliTrace. If this doesn’t work, go back to the test settings. You might also like the Video feature, so you can replay the user’s actions!

SQL Server 2014 In-memory OLTP (a.k.a Hekaton) @ Techorama

U2U Blog

for developers and other creative minds

SQL Server 2014 In-memory OLTP (a.k.a Hekaton) @ Techorama

A few days ago I presented a session on the In-Memory OLTP engine in SQL Server 2014 at Techorama, the Belgian developer conference. I talked about the good things In-Memory OLTP does, and the limitations it has. If you want to go through the slides and code examples again, feel free to download these from my OneDrive.

Nico Jacobs -Hekaton

Comments (19) -

• filme online

6/10/2014 11:15:31 AM |

Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It's very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

• zielona kawa apteka cena

6/28/2014 3:01:21 AM |

I gotta bookmark  this  web site  it seems very useful   very beneficial

• dream dictionary

7/3/2014 5:14:49 AM |

I couldn’t resist commenting. Perfectly written.

• Google Sniper Review

7/13/2014 4:30:28 AM |

The trouble with <a href=?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8JaWjz9DQ?>Google Sniper</a> is that it doesn't give you the tools and abilities you need to generate income with google and the web. It's type of like it provides you into a weapon fight equipped with nothing more than a limp plastic butter blade.

• Pinterest

7/17/2014 2:38:13 AM |

You can find a whole lot of <a href="www.pinterest.com/.../";>Indian Wedding Dresses here</a>

• Efren Mceniry

8/15/2014 10:55:53 PM |

Thanks for all your hard work on this blog. Kim takes pleasure in setting aside time for investigation and it's really simple to grasp why. Most people learn all of the compelling tactic you render vital ideas on this blog and recommend response from some others on the content plus our favorite child is without a doubt studying a lot of things. Take advantage of the rest of the new year. You are performing a very good job.

• Hong Lomascolo

8/15/2014 11:13:51 PM |

Hello my loved one! I want to say that this post is awesome, nice written and come with approximately all significant infos. I'd like to look more posts like this.

• dirty computers

8/22/2014 1:34:20 AM |

Hi Just located Your web site On Yahoo Search. Amazing Page On Your Website!

• free emr software

8/26/2014 6:54:54 AM |

I savour, lead to I discovered just what I was taking a look for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

• ketolisis

8/26/2014 9:41:55 AM |

Hi just thought i would tell you something ketolisis.. This is twice now i've landed on your blog in the last 3 days hunting for totally unrelated things. Spooky or what?

• Florida Lottery Winning Numbers

9/4/2014 12:40:36 PM |

An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing slightly evaluation on this. And he in truth purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If possible, as you turn out to be expertise, would you thoughts updating your blog with more particulars? It's extremely useful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog publish!

• Replica Rolex

9/16/2014 2:54:43 PM |

This post is worthy of appreciation, looking forward to more exciting!

• DEBORA Laurence

9/17/2014 1:55:26 PM |

Covoiturage, annonce & covoiturage. Deposer votre annonce gratuitement sur portail2000.com/ et faites des rencontres

• DEBORA Laurence

9/17/2014 2:08:40 PM |

• DEBORA Laurence

9/17/2014 3:03:49 PM |

• Ed Mcwells

9/23/2014 7:21:49 PM |

Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm planning to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time making a decision to go with B2evolution.

• Ed Mcwells

9/24/2014 3:20:13 AM |

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it tough to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about creating my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions?  Many thanks

• discount coupons

10/4/2014 7:57:41 AM |

This is certainly really legal factor as heightened around the post. Treasure referring to encompassing.

• document scanning software

10/6/2014 1:18:48 PM |

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was once totally right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine just how so much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

• vp-corp

10/6/2014 5:49:30 PM |

You are great man, thanks for sharing.

• computer mouses

10/13/2014 5:35:59 AM |

Momentous weblog, keeping me from updated

• guaranteed facebook fans

10/13/2014 11:34:14 PM |

monkley polyanthus kerekes glerawly cucciola maglena marbled felicca murple

• fans for you and me

10/13/2014 11:38:02 PM |

ohhh nice info VRy interesting to read it?

• guaranteed facebook fans

10/14/2014 5:25:47 AM |

I had been reading content, i have to concur with what Tom said.

• cheap facebook fans

10/14/2014 5:29:40 AM |

Smart stuff, I count on reading more.

• Teri Linkowski

10/16/2014 4:29:34 PM |

Everything is very open with a precise description of the challenges. It was really informative. Your site is very helpful. Thank you for sharing!

• Matthew Sgammato

10/16/2014 7:20:58 PM |

Everyone loves what we posted. I actually agree with anything you wrote.

• Gabriele Atoe

10/22/2014 5:52:16 PM |

Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.